Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Honeymoon: Venice

More about our honeymoon!


After our first few days in Prague we were off to Italia.  We decided to start our Italian vacation in Venice.  I had been once before, about 11 years ago, but Josh had never been and I really wanted him to see it.  It's such a magical, beautiful city.  

on our water taxi
We flew from Prague to Paris to Venice.  A friend of our for our wedding gift gave us a water taxi ride from the last place you can drive a car to our hotel.  I cannot recommend this option enough.  It's a splurge, but it was so fun.  We felt like the Clooney's arriving at our hotel.  The water taxi took us on a long ride where we got to see the city from a totally different perspective.  It was such a gorgeous day and it was such a cool adventure in its own way.

view from our hotel room
We checked into our sweet little hotel.  The people there were so nice and they let me practice my Italian on them which means they had more patience than I could ever have.  Our room was right on the grand canal with a little chaise lounge in from of the window.  I spent a lot of my time in that chair just staring out the window.

Piazza San Marco
The city was very crowded while we were there.  When I visited years ago I don't remember it being as crowded.  It didn't hinder us in any way, but the more touristy places, Piazza San Marco, the Rialto and Accademia bridges, were very, very crowded.  Just something to prepare for.  Also, be prepared for the insane amount of people selling selfie sticks.  I had no clue how popular these things were!

because you must pose in the piazza
Venice can be filled with over-priced, touristy restaurants and we did our best to avoid these spots.  It can be hard in Venice though.  Our first night we found a nice place that seemed to be filled with a lot of Italians which always seems like a good sign.  I got a shrimp and tagliolini dish and Josh got pasta with branzino.  I also started my week and half long wine drinking spree.  I drink a fair amount of wine at home, but I went all out while in Italy.  After all, when in Rome!  Am I right?  The bill for this dinner had an error on it and I was able to point out the error and ask for it to be changed all in Italian.  As you can see, I was quite proud.

gondolas
Our first full day in Venice had us walking and walking.  We really lucked out again with the weather.  We walked the Rialto and through Piazza San Marco where I had my first gelato of the trip.  We crossed the Accademia and finally settled for lunch at a quiet little place alongside a canal.  I had pizza with San Daniele prosciutto and Josh had a margherita pizza.  Again, wine for me.  We then did something that is one of my favorite things to do when I travel.  We went to the local grocery store.  

beautiful flowers and door
I love visiting grocery stores in other places, especially in other countries.  I feel like it gives you a real peak inside the culture and the people.  We got some snacks and waters and carried it back to our hotel where I took one of my many honeymoon naps.

our first negroni of the trip
Our second dinner took us to a part of the city we hadn't explored.  There were a lot of tourists there, but we were so hungry that we decided to just settle in.  I was happy we did.  We met some lovely people also on vacation and we chatted with them throughout.  Another part of traveling that I love.  We have been so lucky when we've gone away and we've met some really incredible and interesting people from all over.  This dinner also brought us our first negronis of the trip.  We do love a good negroni.

the view from J's ride to the top
The next day gave us more beautiful weather and walking.  After lunch, Josh and I decided to split up and do our own thing.  It sounds crazy, but I think it's a really nice way to enjoy yourself.  Don't get me wrong, I love exploring with my husband, but I also love doing things on my own as well.  And then when you meet up later you get to chat about the solo adventures you had.  This time, Josh went to the top of the tower in Piazza San Marco and I went to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection.  The museum was gorgeous.  Aside from the gorgeous collections, the house itself was spectacular.

Chiesa de Salute

Our last dinner in Venice took us to a sweet little place called La Patatina.  It was close by and recommended by the hotel.  We shared a shrimp appetizer and a seafood and asparagus risotto.  We drank wine and negronis.  We then walked to Piazza San Marco and took in the beauty at night.  It's so much quieter at night and it also seems extra magical.  There are two restaurants that have amazing bands playing and you just walk and enjoy and it is so romantic.  The perfect way to end our time here.

Piazza San Marco by night

A few things about our hotel: the breakfast was wonderful.  Pastries, breads, meats, cheeses and delicious fruit and cappuccini.  They have a bar in the hotel, but there never seemed to be anyone in it.  The hotel entrance is down a long alley and it is very hard to find.  We highly suggest the water taxi for arrival so you can avoid being completely lost with a bunch of suitcases.

J on the water taxi


fruit market on a boat


No comments:

Post a Comment